Textured Treasures

Friday, November 29, 2013

Pulled Thread Design : Pulled Arrows

I've gone and "guilded". I thought that since we are moving to Ottawa, and as the guild Seminar 2014 will be held in Ottawa, it would be a great way to meet new people, explore the city and do something I love.
And as always, I've become OCD about the whole thing and have decided to enter a few designs in competition, along with designing one specifically for the Pulled Thread competition.

I've never designed with Pulled Thread.

I've never done Pulled Thread before.

But in complete Textured Treasures style, I am jumping right in. I'd enclose an "in process" picture, but I've left my camera at home and my cell takes lousy pics. I will try to visually describe the piece so far, without a photo: It is stitched on Wichelt Riviera Linene, 32 count aqua. There are two vertical columns, that look like cut pieces of ribbon with two points on each end, and four horizontal columns, also like cut ribbons. I've interwoven the arrows in an over-under fashion. The borders of the arrows are stitched with DMC Colour Variations Perle #5 4020 and then there is a second border (this one is really too difficult to explain) that goes around the entire piece in #5 white. Eyelets at all junctions are done with a single strand of DMC E334.

Today I jumped into the pulled thread work with some Mitred Cable Stitch Diamonds, [see instruction sheets on pulled thread at Nordic Needle....I think this is #10 on the 201 class], inside which I've put a Rhodes Diamond. I also began on the pulled thread within the ribbons with Thread Art Perle (DMC didn't have a colour and weight that I needed). I like the feel of the Thread Art, it's nice and soft, but it doesn't seem to wear as well as the DMC - the gloss lowers faster, even with only 18" cuts.

BTW - I treated myself to a moleskin notebook to keep this design's notes in; justifying it as being my "competition design book". Chris thinks I'm insane as I've already 4 other active design books and I keep losing those! But this one is apparently guranteed to hold it's pages, whereas my larger UofGuelph one has an inordinate amount of fibre tape holding in my Pastel Alphabet pages.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home